Preaching is a joy for pastors. It's an opportunity for you to share the gospel, teach the Bible, and help people live and love like Jesus.
But here’s the deal with preaching: It can be exhausting.
Each week you have to prepare a new sermon for your church, and at times are left struggling with what to preach on Sunday.
You’ll probably set aside 10 to 20 hours a week to write your sermon, which can be a miracle in and of itself. Maybe you can cut that down by using a simple sermon writing tool, but it's still a big chunk of time.
For some pastors, preparing your sermon isn’t a problem. You happen to pastor a larger congregation, and you have supporting staff who can assist you with administrative tasks, counseling, and tending to the life of your church.
For most church leaders, preparing your sermon can be difficult.
You pastor a smaller congregation, you lack the support of staff, and you’re running in a thousand directions with little time to decide on what to preach about.
What does this have to do with sermons about giving?
Talking about money is tough.
Talking about tithing in the Bible, giving, and generosity may cause your hands to shake violently when you reach for your glass of water:
When you approach this topic from your pulpit, there are specific points you want to focus on, and there are ten mistakes you want to avoid when talking about money.
To help you think through the different angles you can take or discover new illustrations, listening to (or watching or reading transcripts) sermons on giving and generosity can be a source of inspiration.
Recently, we gathered together several sermons by pastors from a variety of backgrounds on generosity and giving.
The sermons below are listed in no particular order or preference.
As you’re able, listen to, watch, or read the transcripts of these sermons as a source of inspiration or for insights on how to talk about giving in your church.
#1. Learn How to Let God Meet Your Needs
Rick Warren, founder and senior pastor of Saddleback Church and author of The Purpose Driven Life.
#2. Generosity is a Different World
Brian Houston, global senior pastor of Hillsong Church.
#3. Am I Generous?
Robert Morris, the founding senior pastor of Gateway Church.
#4. God’s Plan for Giving
In this sermon series, Dr. John MacArthur walks through the following topics:
- The Christian and His Finances
- God’s Plan for Giving
- Concerning the Collection
Click here to listen to the sermons or read the sermon manuscripts.
#5. Toward the Tithe and Beyond
This sermon was preached by Dr. John Piper.
Dr. Piper is the founder of Desiring God and the chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary.
To listen to this sermon or read the manuscript, click here.
#6. The Absurdity of Generosity
Louie Giglio, pastor of Passion City Church and the founder of the Passion movement.
#7. Giving That Hurts
Click here to listen to or read the sermon manuscript of “Giving that Hurts.”
This sermon was preached by Dr. Derek Thomas, Chancellor’s Professor of Systematic and Pastoral Theology at Reformed Theological Seminary and the senior minister at First Presbyterian Church.
#8. Generous Hearts and Hands
Matt Chandler, the pastor of The Village Church.
#9. Will Man Rob God?
Mark Driscoll, senior and founding pastor of Trinity Church.
#10. Generosity: A Gospel View of Our Finances
In this sermon series, The Austin Stone Community Church preached three sermons:
- High Stakes
- Does God Command Us to Tithe Today?
- True Treasure
#11. Generosity Sermon Series
Tim Keller led this sermon series on generosity at Redeemer Church.
For this series, Dr. Keller shows what it means to be generous with our time, in our relationships, and with our money.
Dr. Keller covers the following topics:
- Generosity and Ministry
- Generosity and Relationships
- Hospitality and God’s Grace
- Generosity and Power
- Financial Wealth
Click here to listen to the entire sermon series.
#12. Generosity Over Selfishness
Dave Stone, pastor at Southeast Christian Church.
Looking for more sermon writing resources for pastors?
We've got you covered.
- How to Rank Your Sermons #1 on YouTu7 Ways You Can Extend the Life of Your Sermon Throughout the Week
- 10 Christmas Sermons to Make Pastors Merry and Bright
- How to Repurpose Your Sermon Content in Your Ministry
- How to Preach on Coronavirus: 7 Overlooked Sermon Writing Prompts from Scripture
- 3 Preaching Bad Habits That Are Making Your Sermons Weak
- Make Your Father’s Day Sermon Memorable
- 9 Thanksgiving Sermons Pastors Will Be Thankful For
- How to Write a Sermon: A Simple Step-by-Step Guide
- 52 Church Offering Talks for Every Occasion
- FREE Sermon Series on Generosity
- 12 Sermons on Giving and Generosity Every Pastor Needs to Hear
- 2 Sermons on Giving Your Church Must Hear
- Interactive Sermon Notes: A Key to Helping Your Congregation Remember Your Sermon
- 4 Ways to Launch Your Next Sermon Series with a Bang
- 4 Sermon Series That Will Engage & Challenge Millennials
- Sermon Series Ideas To Boost Church Engagement & Community Outreach
- 4 Sermon Ideas to Start the New Year Right