Your Christmas sermon—it’s supposed to be epic, right?
After all, it’s Christmas, the day we celebrate the birth of the Son of God, the Savior of the world.
And it just so happens to be the biggest church service on the calendar, when people who might not darken a church door or click on a livestream any other day of the year suddenly show up.
So how do you make your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day messages memorable, unusual, even life-changing?
Sermons on Christmas come in all shapes and sizes. As the pastor of your church, you must decide what’s right for your congregation. But, since the best ideas often come when we’re inspired by others, we’ve compiled a list of some of best—and most original—Christmas sermons to get your creative juices flowing.
For Christmas Eve, why not try something non-traditional?
The entire Bible points to Jesus, so start your journey to Christmas from a passage that may be overlooked during the holiday season.
Second Samuel 7 contains God’s promise to give David a descendant whose kingdom would last forever. Then there’s Acts 20:35, an especially helpful verse when thinking about gift-giving. Or you could really shock your congregation in your Christmas Sermon by preaching Revelation 12, the only biblical account of Christmas to feature a red, seven-headed dragon.
“Echoes of Christmas in the Garden”
From Derwin Gray, lead pastor of Transformation Church in Indian Land, South Carolina
“What to Wear for the Holidays”
From a Chris Brown Christmas Sermon, senior pastor at North Coast Church in Vista, California
“Christmas in the Book of Revelation”
From Greg Laurie, senior pastor of Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside, California
“Christmas in Genesis”
From a Alistair Begg Christmas Sermon, senior pastor of Parkside Church in Cleveland, Ohio
On Christmas Day, tell the simple story of Christmas.
Charlie Brown isn’t the only one who doesn’t know what Christmas is all about. Believe it or not, there may be people listening to your Christmas Sermon who actually don’t know that Christmas changed everything—absolutely everything—so tell them the story they need to hear and plan on Christmas outreach ideas.
“The Greatest Gift You’ll Ever Be Given”
From Rick Warren, senior pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California
“Don’t Miss Christ This Christmas”
From Tony Evans, senior pastor of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, Texas
“Great Joy and Salvation: Recovering the Meaning and Message of Christmas”
From Sam Storms, lead pastor of Bridgeway Church in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Christmas: It’s All Good”
From Andy Stanley, senior pastor of North Point Community Church in Alpharetta, Georgia
Or you could always bust some Christmas myths
The wise men didn’t show up the same night as the shepherds, Jesus probably wasn’t born in a stable, and the first Christmas almost certainly wasn’t December 25th. Do your research, correct the record, and help your church read the Christmas story with fresh eyes this year.
“Jesus, Lord Over All: Joy”
From Rob McCoy, pastor of Godspeak Calvary Chapel in Thousand Oaks, California
“A Christmas Message for the Smartphone Generation”
From author and speaker Skye Jethani
Looking for more sermon writing resources for pastors?
We've got you covered.
- How to Rank Your Sermons #1 on YouTu7 Ways You Can Extend the Life of Your Sermon Throughout the Week
- 10 Christmas Sermons to Make Pastors Merry and Bright
- How to Repurpose Your Sermon Content in Your Ministry
- How to Preach on Coronavirus: 7 Overlooked Sermon Writing Prompts from Scripture
- 3 Preaching Bad Habits That Are Making Your Sermons Weak
- Make Your Father’s Day Sermon Memorable
- 9 Thanksgiving Sermons Pastors Will Be Thankful For
- How to Write a Sermon: A Simple Step-by-Step Guide
- 52 Church Offering Talks for Every Occasion
- FREE Sermon Series on Generosity
- 12 Sermons on Giving and Generosity Every Pastor Needs to Hear
- 2 Sermons on Giving Your Church Must Hear
- Interactive Sermon Notes: A Key to Helping Your Congregation Remember Your Sermon
- 4 Ways to Launch Your Next Sermon Series with a Bang
- 4 Sermon Series That Will Engage & Challenge Millennials
- Sermon Series Ideas To Boost Church Engagement & Community Outreach