Father’s Day often gets overlooked as a holiday. It’s not as widely celebrated as Mother’s Day, and it tends to fall at the same time as the beginning of summer. Many people are thinking about their summer vacation…not necessarily celebrating their dads.
But it’s important to remember and honor men who have been given the gift of fatherhood.
Whether your church members had strained or painful relationships with their biological fathers or they had amazing dads that continue to influence them, church is the right place to acknowledge this holiday.
In this article, we’ll look at 20 Bible verses that are relevant to Father’s Day. Some Scripture points more to Biblical traits of fatherhood; other Scripture teaches us about God as a Father.
In any case, these Scriptures are sure to speak to the hearts of your church members and visitors.
What is Father’s Day?
Father's Day is a holiday celebrated annually on the third Sunday in June in many countries around the world. It is a day dedicated to honoring fathers and celebrating their contributions to their families and society.
While Father's Day is a joyous occasion for many, it can also be a painful reminder for those who have lost their fathers or have difficult relationships with them.
20 Bible Verses for Father’s Day
As Christians, we believe that fathers have a significant role in the family and in society. The Bible teaches us to honor and respect our fathers, to be obedient to them, and to seek their guidance and wisdom.
Fatherhood is a divine calling, and fathers have a responsibility to lead and guide their families with love, compassion, and humility.
Here are 20 Bible verses that are relevant to Father’s Day.
Bible Verses About What it Means to Be a Godly Father
- "Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children." - Proverbs 17:6
- "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." - Proverbs 22:6
- "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." - Exodus 20:12
- "The righteous man walks in his integrity; his children are blessed after him." - Proverbs 20:7
- "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." - Ephesians 6:4
- "The righteous lead blameless lives; blessed are their children after them." - Proverbs 20:7
Bible Verses About How to Treat Your Fathers
- "Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old." - Proverbs 23:22
- "My son, keep your father's command and do not forsake your mother's teaching." - Proverbs 6:20
- "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord." - Colossians 3:20
- "The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him." - Proverbs 23:24
- "A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son brings grief to his mother." - Proverbs 10:1
- "The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him." - Proverbs 23:24
Bible Verses About God as a Father
- "As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him." - Psalm 103:13
- "The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him." - Psalm 103:13
- "Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand." - Isaiah 64:8
- "See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him." - 1 John 3:1
- "Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father.'" - Galatians 4:6
- "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." - James 1:17
- "The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'" - Romans 8:15
- "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" - John 14:6
Celebrate Father’s Day at Your Church
Looking for ideas to celebrate Father’s Day at your church? Here are 7 awesome, creative ideas to get you started.
Or, if you’d like to acknowledge the holiday with a simple gesture, click here to download the graphic below.