Easter is the most important holiday for Christians. As a celebration of Jesus Christ’s resurrection, it reminds Christians that we’ll experience resurrection someday.
As the most important holiday in Christianity, there are lots of quotes about Easter out there. If you’re preparing an Easter sermon, you might need some great quotes about Easter. These quotes are also perfect if you plan to put up a sign at home or church. Either way, you’ll likely find many great uses for these Christian quotes for Easter.
In addition to great quotes about Easter, we’ll also give you Bible verses about Easter to incorporate into your sermons. Read on to see our favorite verses and quotes to celebrate Easter.
12 Christian Quotes for Easter
In this section, we’ll go over 12 quotes about Easter from various public figures. We don’t just provide the quotes – we’ll also discuss a little bit about why we like each of them.
Let’s get started:
1. “Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in spring-time.” - Martin Luther, German priest
Easter happens in spring, so this Luther quote is seasonally appropriate. But it’s more than that—in this, Martin Luther reminds us that God promises that we will one day be resurrected. It is an important reminder to keep in mind all year but especially so in spring when Easter rolls around.
2. “Easter says you can put truth in a grave, but it won’t stay there.” - Clarence W. Hall, American author
Easter is a holiday celebrating Jesus Christ’s resurrection. The Romans crucified Jesus because they believed He committed blasphemy for claiming that He is the Son of God. But, as we know today, Jesus was resurrected despite the Romans’ attempt to bury the truth.
3. “Jesus did not die on the cross just so we could live comfortable, well-adjusted lives. His purpose is far deeper: He wants to make us like Himself before He takes us to heaven. This is our greatest privilege, our immediate responsibility and our ultimate destiny.” - Rick Warren, American pastor
This quote reminds us that Jesus didn’t die for our sins so we could live carefree lives. He wants us to live like Him, so we can reach others with His love.
4. “Because of the empty tomb, we have peace. Because of His resurrection, we can have peace during even the most troubling of times because we know He is in control of all that happens in the world.” - Paul Chappell, American pastor
This quote reminds us of how Jesus Christ’s sacrifice gifted us with peace. Even in the most turbulent times, we can still have peace because we know Jesus is here for us.
5. “The Cross is the lightning rod of grace that short-circuited God's wrath to Christ so that only the light of His love remains for believers.” - A.W. Tozer, American author
This quote uses a unique analogy to remind us that Jesus died so we could receive the light of God’s love.
6. “Christ the Lord is risen today, sons of men and angels say. Raise your joys and triumphs high; sing, ye heavens and earth reply.” - Charles Wesley, English author
This quote lays it all plain and simple: the resurrection of Jesus Christ is a joyous occasion for everyone. Not just for us humans but also for angels, the heavens, and Earth itself.
7. "We proclaim the resurrection of Christ when his light illuminates the dark moments of our existence." - Pope Francis
This quote is more or less self-explanatory. The resurrection of Christ is a light that illuminates the dark for us Christians.
8. “That is one good thing about this world, there are always sure to be more springs.” - L.M. Montgomery, Canadian author
Montgomery’s quote gives us optimism. Whatever we’re facing right now, there’s always a tomorrow since there’s always going to be another spring coming eventually.
9. “The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances.” - Robert Flatt, American pastor
This quote reminds us that no matter what, we always have a chance to start over. Even if you’ve been caught in deep sin, there’s still a chance to change your life and start living in Christ.
10. “But from this earth, this grave, this dust, my God shall raise me up, I trust.” - Walter Raleigh, English writer
Raleigh’s quote is a proclamation of trust. As God resurrected Jesus, we should also trust God that He will raise us up from any situation.
11. "No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn." - Hal Borland, American writer
This quote has a similar intention to Montgomery’s. It reminds us that no hardship lasts forever. Eventually, spring will come, and we’ll experience good times again.
12. "And He departed from our sight that we might return to our heart, and there find Him. For He departed, and behold, He is here." - Saint Augustine
This quote reminds us that while Jesus isn’t physically present with us, He is still here. Saint Augustine wants to remind us that Jesus is in our hearts.
Bible Verses About Easter
In addition to quotes about Easter, we also have a list of Bible verses to include in your sermons or put on your church signs.
Here are our favorite passages about Easter and the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
- John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- Philippians 3:10-11: “I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of His resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in His death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.”
- Romans 8:34: “Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.”
- Romans 10:9: “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”
- 1 Corinthians 15:20-21: “But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.”
- Mark 8:31: “He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again.”
- John 11:25-26: “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?’”
- Matthew 28:5-6: “The angel said to the women, ‘Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.’”
- Ephesians 1:7-10: “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, He made known to us the mystery of His will according to his good pleasure, which He purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.”
- Isaiah 53:12: “Therefore I will give Him a portion among the great, and He will divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out His life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.”
- Colossians 1:13-14: “For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son He loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”
- Luke 23:46-47: “Jesus called out with a loud voice, ‘Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.’ When He had said this, He breathed his last. The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, ‘Surely this was a righteous man.’”
Easter is the most important holiday in Christianity, and during this time, churches try to get as many people to attend service. If you’re looking for inspirational Easter quotes and Bible verses to put in your sermon or your church signs, we hope the ones above can inspire you.